Friday, March 14, 2008

Um. Stooof.

I see I haven't posted in awhile. This is a little shocking! It's basically because Em darling came home Monday, so it's been a tad crazy here, as it always is when she returns to her more innocent sisters. It's been really nice to hang out though, so you know, I guess I forgive her for stealing me from my blog. ;)
Uhm, well, last Friday/Saturday Laura slept over and it was awesome and we watched Becoming Jane again, which got me into Jane Austen, (again), so I watched Northanger Abbey and it was actually really sweet and I liked it a lot. And I have Persuasion out from the library so hopefully I'll get to reading that soon!
While Laura was here we also went to the movies to see Step Up 2, since we got her all into Step Up, but for some weird reason they had stopped showing it. It said they still were on their website and the outside sign and everything, but they lied! So instead we saw Spiderwick, which was actually really, really awesome. It has Freddie Highmore so I knew it was going to be pretty good, but I expected it to be kind of kidish adventure... It really wasn't. It was funny and jumpy and extremely well done, and the coolest thing was Freddie Highmore played twins! That must have been so hard!
Anywhom, it was REALLY well done, and we enjoyed it a lot. :D
As I said, Em came home Monday, and we ended up staying up late and watching Juno with her. That, also, was really, really good! The acting was amazing, and the script, and it was just so sweet... we loved it. I think it's cool too because I found out the author was a first timer on script writing, and the amount of trust the director had to put in her to follow some of those strange but brilliant bits was a ton. Kudos to them both.
I'm looking forward to another movie this weekend, and then my birthday and Easter! I have a totally cute summer dress to wear for Easter, and I'll have my ears pierced on my birthday, so YAY! I can't believe I'm turning sixteen. O_O Weiiiiiiird. And exciting! Mucho exciting! I know there'll be great things in the year to come. XD
So I've been thinking about what I want to 'be' when I 'grow up,' and I've kind of kicked out the actress idea. I dunno, it just seems like I don't have enough commitment to make it, and I wouldn't really be able to do anything else for a long time... Something the actors at the ABP always said this summer, was that if there's ANYTHING else you like to do fairly well other then acting, you should do it instead. And, well, there are definitely other things I like to do. However, I may still try my hand at directing... But basically right now I'm actually thinking I want to be a freelance writer. They're just so... cool! And writing seems to be, in my opinion, one of the easier things to do in life. Like, I know there are tons of people who are way better writers then I'll ever be, but if you like it and are fairly good at it, eventually you'll get published. If you don't give up that is. Stubbornness, and all that.
So yeah. That's what I'm thinking as of this moment. I'll try to read and write as much as possible, and if the Higher Being approves, anything could happen... ;)
Speaking of writing, I kind of got past that stupid spot in WR.... but things aren't looking too fascinating right now and I'm not really into it. I haven't worked on it for a couple of days. Bad me, I know. I'm sure the inspiration will return soon, and in the mean time I have script frenzy to worry about! I'm starting to get excited because I actually decided to write a screenplay this year... which is nerve wracking but kind of awesome. I have the brief outlines of a plot, but until yesterday no characters. Then yesterday I found this character worksheet and tried it, and vwalla! There was my main character!
The only problem - she still doesn't have a name.
So what I'm gonna do is post all the work I've done on her, and then you darling peeps can help me think of the perfect name! K? K!

Protagonist Questionnaire
For High School Students

1. What is your protagonist? A person? An animal? Something else?
A girl definitely, I’m just no sure what kind of girl. Either the outcast angry punk girl who’s cast as the MC, or the more normal backstage member who has no personality... yeah okay that won’t work. Okay well for angry outcast punk girl... uhm yeah. I’ll go with that for now.

2. Where does your protagonist live? Does he or she like it there?
_I have no idea, thank you for asking though. Uhm
I know!
San Diego :P
And no... she thinks its boring.

3. What does your protagonist look like? Hair color? Height? Distinguishing features?
_5’5, brown hair, short and kind of spiky, maybe a little dyed, earrings all the way up her right ear, a nose ring, tattoos on her arms she likes to pretend are real but aren’t. Fairly pretty, but obviously not in a conventional way.

4. What is your protagonist’s favorite outfit?
Scary spike boots, a black duck tape miniskirt and a re-made sweater.

5. What clothes would your protagonist never be caught dead wearing?
Anything cutsie. Long skirts. Hoop earrings. Make up. Normal clothes, basically.

6. What is your protagonist’s pet peeve?
People in general. Loud gum chewers. Suck ups.

7. What is your protagonist’s fondest memory?
She doesn’t tend to think of these things. If you have to know, the last good memory she has with her mom. She was eight and her mom decided to have a special day with her. She came to her school and stole her away, and they went to the beach and collected shells and built a sand castle and had a mud fight, and her mom threw her in the ocean to wash her off.

8. What are your protagonist's hobbies?
Designing clothes, making stuff in general. It’s the only thing she’s happy doing.

9. What can your protagonist do better than anyone else?
Design. She’s an artist too. But she never ever lets people see it.

10. What is your protagonist insecure about?
Just about everything. She acts very tough but has trouble letting people in.

11. What makes your protagonist angry?
The world. Her father. Popular people. Unpopular people. The fact her mother committed suicide. Christians. Schools. Anything unfair. Bullies. Wimps. Just about everything.

12. What are your protagonist’s parents like? How about the rest of his or her family?
Her mother suffered from depression and killed herself when the MC was ten. She is an only child. Her father is very secluded. He’s a small mousy man who doesn’t know how to raise a girl, but he loves her very much. He’s completely awkward around her, she makes him uncomfortable. She has a great relationship with her grandmother, her mothers mother. She has a couple aunts and uncles who she never sees.

13. What's one secret your protagonist hasn't ever told anyone?
She tried to kill herself once.

14. Is your protagonist outgoing? Shy? What do people think when they first meet your
character?
She’s hostile. Not outgoing, not shy. She has a very low opinion of people, so she has no friends. She’s an outcast. She scares people a little, so they call her a freak.

15. Describe your protagonist in three words:
1. Angry
2. Hiding
3. Beautiful

16. Pretend for a moment that your protagonist is really nervous. What does your protagonist do with his or her nervous energy? (Tap his or her toe against the floor? Hum a song?)
If there’s a pen around she draws on herself and jiggles her knees. If there’s not pen, she bites her nails.

17. Write a sentence describing how your protagonist walks.
She stalked down the hall in her spiky leather boots, and freshmen scattered out of her way, seeing the look of hatred in eyes.

18. Write a sentence describing how your protagonist stands. What’s his or her posture like?
She leaned against her locker and folded her arms under her chest, pursing her lips in annoyance. “Can I help you?”

19. What do you really like about your protagonist?
I like how cool she could be if she decided to like people. I like how passionate she is. I like how she really cares about things and people she tries to tell herself she doesn’t.

20. What do you dislike about your protagonist?
Um, well... she has attitude issues. And anger issues. And other issues... she’s actually a little self righteous, without realizing it, but that shall be fixed. ;)

21. What is your protagonist’s greatest weakness?
Her inability to show and receive love.

22. What is the one thing your protagonist fears most?
She fears loving, and then having the people she loves torn from her.

23. What does your protagonist want more than anything else in the world?
Her mother back. Other then that, to stop being so angry.

2. What is your protagonist’s favorite band? Song? Type of music?
Lifehouse. Blind. Rock.

3. What is your protagonist’s favorite book and why?
Rules of the Road, by Joan Bauer. Because she loves it duh. She sees herself in it, identifies well, etc...

4. What is your protagonist’s favorite season?
November.

5. What places, other than where he or she lives now, has your protagonist lived or visited on
vacation? Which one was his or her favorite and why?
Uhmmm... she’s always lived in San Diego. They visited Maine once and she swears she’s going to move there as soon as possible. She loved the season and climate differences and the people. She wants to live in Portland.

6. What does your protagonist’s house look like? What is hanging on your protagonist’s
bedroom walls?
Her house is fairly boring because her dad does all the cleaning. Her room however, is completely different. She has red walls, and she’s got posters all over them, of her favorite bands. It’s constantly a mess but she always keeps her bed clean, and she has a table that’s practically collapsing under all the stuff. She has so many art supplies all over her walls, in the closet, on the floor, and her latest project on the table along with her sewing machine . It’s kind of dark so she has several funky lights and Christmas tree lights strung up on the walls. She has a manakin which she likes to dress up in her creations.

7. What is the best thing that ever happened to your protagonist?
That class she took on design last year. All of her time with her mother.

8. What is the worst thing that ever happened to your protagonist?
Her mother’s suicide.

10. What makes your protagonist most uncomfortable?
People showing that they care for her.

11. Describe how your protagonist speaks. Does he or her have a lisp? An accent? Does your protagonist
use a lot of slang, or end every sentence with “okay,” etc.?
She has a low dry voice, with a slightly sarcastic lilt. Sometimes she mumbles. She is prone to slang, but tries very hard not to sound ‘ditsy’ and despises people who do.

12. If a song played every time your protagonist walked into a room, what song would it
be?
Stop and Stare by OneRepublic

Mmm yeah, she's a happy girl. :P
I'm currently working on one of my supporting characters, who's going to be the Jesus freak of the school. Mucho awesome.
As you can see, I am excited.
Names people, I need names!

Kbye. :D

<3anna>

5 comments:

LiterallyLauren said...

GEENA! :D
Because that's just about the farthest thing from punkish, but punkish all the same. But you know, you always pick the most amazing names, so really, don't take my advice.

SERIOUSLY.

Ummm.... For the Jesus Freak, maybe something like 'Charity', if her parents are a lot like her. Something chaste.

LOVEYA!

Unknown said...

Her real name should be something really cute so she can hate that too. "The one thing I hate about my mother is that she named me Karie Sue." But of course that is not the name she goes by. Her full name is Karie Sue Stotlemyer. KSS and she pronunces it "cuss"...which is what she is called. She signs it Kuss.

AnnaRose said...

AHAHA. Dad, you are brilliant. But so are you, Lauren! I love Geena and probably someone else is gonna get it as a name... but for now I think I've got to go with Karie Sue Stotlemyer (and that's nice because I can never think of last names...) Kuss. It's just too funny to leave. And one of the other characters will probably end up calling her Kiss, which she will HATE.
:D
We'll see though. Of course I could change my mind. And yeah, Charity would definitely work for the Jesus Freak. Thanks to you both! :D

Love&<3s!

Miss Katie said...

I love them both but I have to agree Karie Sue thing just....takes the cake. Especially the abrievations and all.

lmao.

Charity's a wicked awesome name--I used it a lot a LONG time ago.

I can't wait to read your finnished outcome I'm sure it's gonna rock!!!

Loveyouxamilliongirly<3

LiterallyLauren said...

I could've swore I replied again, but I guess Blogger hates me.

...(It's actually probably my fault, but really, I'm fifteen. There ain't no way (*southern*) I'm admittin' ta nothin'.)

:)

I LOVE your choices, and KUSS makes me want to have cool initials that kind of subtly spell out something. LRR doesn't get me too far there.

By the way, I bought your gift today, and we're mailing it *soon*, although it IS my family, so don't expect it to be there on your birthday. If it is, I'll be throwing my own party as well.

:D

I hope you love it.

LaurenZA.