Friday, January 18, 2008

And the book of the week, is...


(Don't be scared away by the bleak cover. It's actually a very vibrant book. :P)

Ellin Fisher is a Southlander inside and out, which is why when she’s taken to the Northlands with her father for some very secret purpose, she’s not exactly happy. It doesn’t help that the Northlanders view her kind as scum, with their brilliant red hair marking them forever as different from these tall, blond people. Northlanders and Southlanders don’t mix, it just isn’t done, and it happens to be against the law, so Ellin knows that the fact her father is there to try to help heal the king is very dangerous indeed. And when she’s locked out of the city gates and unable to get her father the herbs he needs so badly, she knows for sure the King will die. That is, until she discovers the insulting guard that closed the gates in her face to be the kings own youngest son, and finds herself offering to help, despite what he did. That is how she finds herself inside a palace full of Northlanders, breaking the law, and trying to heal the king.
After that night, when Ellin really healed for the first time, she and her father are commissioned to stay there until the King is well, although they both miss their home sorely. But to her surprise, Ellin discovers not all Northlanders are cold and icy as the land they live in, in fact a few become her good friends, and help her discover the power she has always had hidden. It’s this same power that will bring grief upon her when she has escaped the palace, and force her to join an unruly bunch of True Southlanders, as they’ve dubbed themselves. But is the way they’re using their power really right? And what will happen if Ellin chooses to help them in their plan of changing the lands laws?

That's just the summary thing I did for school, but I really liked it a lot. It was so weird going from The Sweet Far Thing to it, because it's 250 pages which is like... a quarter of The Sweet Far Thing. Haha. But it was really refreshing, and I loved the characters. Finn, Erik, Ellin, her fathers friend... almost all of them!  But especially Finn, (who's deaf, btw.) I'm hoping for a little romance in the next book, hehe. Although I'm not sure whether it will be about her or not, since it's 'tales of the borderlands.' I hope it is though!!! 

'I motion for Finn to join me at the table , where it's lightest, and look at him helplessly for a moment when he does. 
"I can't talk with you," I say softly, making sure to face him after I've seen that Coll and Gareth aren't listening. 
Finn nods, looking as though he expected this. I shake my head when I realize he doesn't understand. 
"No! Finn, I want to," I explain. "But when we escaped, I-I did something to the guard." I point to my forehead and make a face. "It hurts."
Finns eyes widen, and he nods again. Then he gives me a wry smile and makes a frustrated gesture with both hands.
"I know," I say, with a mirthless, breathless laugh. "But I-" I break off, startled, when he touches my hand and, when he has my attention, taps a finger to his lips, shushing me. 
Then he stands and pulls me up and hesitantly puts his arms around me. And I realize as I hug him back that some thing - some apologies and some forgiveness and even some goodbyes - can be said even without saying anything at all.'
Like, awwwwwwwwwwwwww right?! 
Yeah, go read it. 

.....Not really in a blogging mood so I think I'll update ya'll about more life (or lack thereof ;)) another time. Looking forward to Saturday though. I'll probably read Sunshine all day!! :D 
.....er that is, when I'm not writing... or messing around on here...  or working on L's present. Like I should be. All day. Aheh. 

Anyways, I'm going now! 
Goodbye!

...Really!

Bye!

...(why aren't you gone yet?!)

...(jeez people)

...(I said bye!)

*rolls eyes*

Gracious. 

You all need lives.

Lovingly,
Sloopy Pottypants

2 comments:

LiterallyLauren said...

Dear Anna -

I downloaded QuickTime just for you. Argh.
BUT THE TRAILER WILL NOT LOAD BECAUSE I'M MISSING A FADE-IN MACINTOSH FILE.

:(

FixitformebeforeIdie.
Love,

L. :D

LiterallyLauren said...

*trailer that you made.

Aha.